From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@×××××.com>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Fwd: [gentoo-user] RFC: KDE 'child' packages (separate ebuilds for konqueror kmail etc.)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 07:51:00
1 ----- Forwarded message from Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> -----
2
3 > Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:01:44 +0300
4 > From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
5 > Reply-To: gentoo-user@g.o
6 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
7 > Subject: [gentoo-user] RFC: KDE 'child' packages (separate ebuilds for konqueror kmail etc.)
8 > X-Mailer: KMail [version 1.4]
9
10 > Hello everyone,
11 >
12 > During the last week I've been working on separating the kde-base/* packages
13 > into 'child' packages, a feature requested by some people. For example,
14 > instead of kdenetwork we'd have separate kmail, knode, kppp etc. ebuilds. The
15 > actual eclass framework to do this is ready.
16 >
17 > However, there is a problem. A 'parent' package (e.g. kde-base/kdenetwork)
18 > will still exist since most people will want to merge all of it. There are
19 > two ways to go:
20 >
21 > 1. The parent and child packages will not be related. They will overwrite each
22 > other's files. This is unacceptable.
23 >
24 > 2. The parent package will depend on all of its children and install nothing
25 > itself. Like kde-base/kde depends on kdebase kdenetwork etc., so will
26 > kde-base/kdenetwork depend on net-www/konqueror, net-mail/kmail etc. This is
27 > the approach I've taken so far.
28 >
29 > The problem is that while every 'child' package only compiles and installs the
30 > relevant files, it still needs to run the complete configure script of its
31 > parent package. In the admittedly worst-case example of kdebase, the script
32 > takes ~1.5 minutes to execute on my P3-900. kdebase has 39 child packages, so
33 > emerging kdebase with the new setup (i.e. emerging all child packages) will
34 > take about an hour longer than emerging a monolithic kdebase takes now -
35 > worse for slower computers.
36 >
37 > Most users won't accept this tradeoff of compile time for flexibility. So if
38 > you have an alternative solution, please suggest it. Otherwise there won't be
39 > any kde child packages. Speak now or remain forever silent :-)
40 >