From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] problems with PowerBook G4
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:41:27
Nicholas S-A wrote:
> hello, > I have installed Gentoo PPC (2005.1) on my 800 Mhz Titanium PowerBook G4 > successfully (it boots). I have some problems, however, and I was > wondering if anyone could help me. As it stands, I can not do the > following which I would like: > 1) I cannot configure ethernet (on eth0) or airport (on eth1, wifi1, and > wlan1). after running "alias eth0=sungem" and "alias eth1=airport", > "alias wifi1=airport", and "alias wlan1=airport", I still cannot connect > using net.eth0 and net.eth1, etc, config and ifup eth0/ifup eth1. It > says (I am booted into OSX now because I cannot get mail from Gentoo, so > this might be a little off): > ifconfig: eth0: device not found > or something like that. The same goes for eth1. Is there a guide > somewhere that I could read about configuring ethernet and airport under > gentoo?
It sounds like you haven't included the modules for airport and your network card in your kernel. Make sure that they are at least marked <M>, but I prefer to build them into my kernel (marked by <*>).
> 2) I have a problem with my kernel. When I try to boot off of a kernel > that I complied myself, it always gives " returning* 0x01400000 from > prom_init"* as an error in the Open Firmware white background, then NO > MORE TEXT is outputted, and it freezes. Apparently, this error is common > with powermac G5's (except with more text and a return to the OF > prompt), but why my old powerbook has it I do not know. to compile the > kernel, I ran > make clean dep modules modules_install vmlinux > dep was not needed. My system says making the vmlinux image worked fine. > however, it does not boot, instead giving the above error. Any ideas on > how I could get it to work?
You haven't compiled in a framebuffer device. On that machine you need to have RadeonFB compiled into your kernel.
> 3) I cannot mount hfs+ filesystems. When I run > mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/share > or > mount -t hfs /dev/hda13 /mnt/share > it complains that it does not know what hfs is. What are the steps for > mounting an hfs+ partition under linux? or should I just switch to UFS?
You'll need to have support for HFS+ compiled into your kernel. Make sure that it is compiled in. For HFS+ filesystems, the type is hfsplus, not hfs.
> 4) This is a question about Mac-On-Linux. I was wondering how to install > and run it. I have it installed, but when I run what it says to on the > man pages, I get some errors about the display, and I think the OSX > partition (I am really sorry I am so vague, but I forgot it since > running MOL is not as high a priority right now as getting my linux > system configured). It does the same thing when run in an xterm or > Terminal Window (GNOME).
Yeah, I'll need some more information to help you with this.