From: Rod Furey <rod@×××××××××××××.nl>
To: Gentoo PPC User <gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Installing on laptop
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:23:02
1 I said I'd drop you a list of the things I went through but you seem to
2 have
3 got a pretty similar list so I'll comment on what you've got here and
4 what I did or didn't do on the G3 iMac...
5
6 These comments are also for the handbook maintainer... I had intended
7 to write everything up and ship it off but this thread seems as good a
8 place
9 to write things as any...
10
11 > It seems I may have needed to have a kernel called 'vmlinux' for
12 > yabootconfig to work.
13
14 I couldn't get yabootconfig to work at all, even with a vmlinux kernel.
15 I resorted to doing the yaboot.conf by hand (with a bit of help from
16 prior
17 versions that I had to install to work out what should and shouldn't go
18 in
19 the file in certain places... the descriptions are a bit vague for a
20 yaboot
21 newbie I'm afraid).
22
23 > The instructions don't require a separate /boot partition for ppc
24 > but all the examples have one.
25
26 True... I just have one partition (it's a play box) and created a /boot
27 dir in that.
28
29 > The kernel creation gives "emerge =vanilla-sources-2.4.24", but
30 > "emerge ppc-sources" with no version numbers was what I required.
31
32 True.
33
34 > The airport module is not included on the g3 cd's I downloaded so
35 > there was no way to use the wireless card.
36
37 Don't have a wireless card on the iMac so can't comment...
38
39 > 1. downloaded and burned a G3 specific ISO.
40
41 I used the 2 CD set - the second has pre-compiled stuff.
42 It is, however, unclear in the site docs when this CD should be
43 used. There's a step which says "copy everything for portage" or
44 some such and the implication is that the second CD should be
45 copied here as well. It shouldn't - it comes after the reboot.
46
47 > dhcpcd eth0
48 > [in the instructions but I really shouldn't have needed]
49
50 I didnt.
51
52 > mount /dev/hda11 /mnt/root
53 > mount /dev/hda12 /mnt/root
54
55 Did you really do that? Or was one /home?
56
57 > tar -xvpjf /mnt/cdrom/g3-stages/stage3-g3-1.4_final.tbz2
58
59 Note to handbook maintainer: the instructions had
60 /mnt/cdrom/stages and not /mnt/cdrom/g3-stages. Either
61 the CDs need fixing or the handbook needs to note the
62 alternative name if it doesn't already.
63
64 > cp -R /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/root/usr/portage/distfiles/
65
66 Hmmm... I don't have the -R in my notes...
67
68 It's at this point that I copied the packages off the CD to the
69 portage tree.
70
71 > emerge ppc-sources
72
73 Since I was using the CD, I used emerge --usepkg ppc-sources
74 to tell emerge to try the local stuff first. The name is different from
75 the docs though.
76
77 > mount /proc
78
79 Hmmm... I don't have this in my list...
80
81 > yabootconfig
82
83 I couldn't get yabootconfig to work at all. I ended up editing
84 /etc/yaboot.conf and running ybin manually.
85
86 > emerge syslog-ng
87
88 I couldn't get this installed due to an http error(!) Finally resorted
89 to sysklogd which went in like a charm.
90
91 After that the reboot worked and things are reasonable. I emerged
92 a bunch of stuff and it seems reasonable, apart from
93 KDE and GNOME not wanting to work (they did under YDL). I
94 suspect the lack of memory on this box (64Mb) is the problem. After
95 some messing around with fluxbox and blackbox, neither of which
96 seemed to want to work 'coz they couldn't find a diff file on the
97 network somewhere(!), I got openbox installed which proved there's
98 nowt wrong with my X setup (I'd even redone the kernel with extra
99 things trying to get the other 2 to work - I knew twm did but I wanted
100 extra verification). I settled on windowmaker 'coz I wanted something
101 that automatically recognised the mouse and the function keys from
102 the off. (I assume openbox will but I didn't want to spend time working
103 through config files - windowmaker just works!)
104
105 Having done an install on the PC a while back through the compile-it-all
106 route, I was happier with the install-pre-compiled stuff for getting a
107 basic
108 system installed. I may compile the lot from scratch now!
109
110 Thanks to the maintainers for a nice distro and the instructions, even
111 if
112 there're a few hiccoughs in there.
113
114 Josh, I can't see that you've done that much different from me in
115 the install - certainly not where you'd lose the keyboard, unless
116 there's something laptop specific in the kernel config for a keyboard...
117 laptop's are strange beasts sometime... Sorry I can't do anything but
118 verify that the hiccoughs you've seen can be reproduced...
119
120 Rod (new to gentoo)
124 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list