From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] X configuration - was [gentoo-ppc-user] No local video on PowerMac 8600 - Help?
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 14:04:39
1 Carl Hudkins wrote:
2 > On Monday 01 September 2003 04:23, Andrew McCall wrote:
3 >
4 > I know I already replied to the other Andrew, but as you asked specific
5 > questions about the video, and I just figured out how to get the case
6 > fully open so I could find out what was in there.
9 >>It might help if you explain a little about the hardware you are using
10 >>- What system is it? Does it have on-board video or is it supplied via
13 > Ok, as in the Subject line, it's a Power Macintosh 8600, 200MHz. It's
14 > got 64MB memory and no (count 'em, zero) PCI cards. :) The video is
15 > on-board, and lists in /proc/pci as "Apple Computer Inc. Control Video".
16 > From other sources I've gathered I must use the "fbdev" device for
17 > XFree86, and indeed if I go that way I can get something other than "No
18 > screens found" when start X -- it puts the monitor into power-save mode.
19 > (I assume it's trying to do something the monitor, Apple Multiple Scan
20 > 1705, doesn't like, so it shuts down... but it could simply be that
21 > there's no video signal at that point.)
22 >
23 > (I do have a couple of PCI video cards around here, but I haven't been
24 > bold enough to try one in there. They are, after all, from the PC
25 > world.)
26 >
27 > Excerpt from XF86Config:
28 >
29 > Section "Device"
30 > Identifier "Apple Control Video via fbdev"
31 > Driver "fbdev"
32 > # [nwch] I don't think VideoRam is valid with fbdev
33 > #VideoRam 2048
34 > # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
35 > Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
36 > # Option "shadow" "on"
37 > # Option "rotate" "off"
38 > EndSection
39 >
40 > I investigated "fbset", but I can't see that it makes any difference; the
41 > same thing happens whether I use it or not.
42 >
43 > One thing I'm not clear on is whether any kernel modules need to be
44 > loaded to use X via framebuffer. This new kernel has built-in support
45 > for "Control", "Platinum", and "Valkyrie", and because I was using the
46 > "shotgun method" I also built modules for ATI and Matrox. I can see now
47 > that I don't need the ATI & Matrox modules, and I suspect that "Control"
48 > is my generic Apple video. I've got two fb modules, "fbcon-vga-planes.o"
49 > and "vga16fb.o" that I'm not really sure about. fbcon-vga-planes loads
50 > without complaint, but vga16fb complains that it can't allocate memory.
53 >>you using any kernel arguments wih the program you are booting with? I
54 >>think you can type something like append video=0 or something to force
55 >>the video to work.
58 > Either video=0 or video=fb works, which are the only things I've tried so
59 > far. Eventually I'll try without that argument, just for variety, but
60 > for now that setting (fb) is saved. The utility is BootX, which is
61 > necessary for "old world" Macs. Once everything is working, I may try
62 > setting up Quik so I can remove MacOS 7.55 from there entirely and use
63 > both drives to the fullest. (Total of 6GB storage on this guy, of which
64 > 2GB are formatted HFS. /usr/portage/distfiles is on the HFS side, BTW,
65 > but since nothing on there can be chmod +x I can only use it for storage,
66 > and not for anything that needs to be executable.)
67
68 Here's what you do. In your kernel config, enable ControlFB or whatever
69 its called under framebuffers. On the kernel command line in BootX,
70 specify 'video=controlfb:vmode:6,cmode:8'. You should get a boot console
71 with this and X should work with the 'fbdev' driver.
74 Andrew Gaffney
78 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list