From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:35:33
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:06 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:

> [...]
Going back to the original statement I made when I started this thread - I had never built a PPC kernel before so instead of creating my own configuration I simply started with the config file that was used by the kernel on the install CD. I can always take things out later. All I was trying to do today was to get the machine to boot and start an emerge -DuN world, and I did that much anyway.
> > boot with these 3 combinations: ofonly, radeonfb, {none} then for each, > cat /proc/fb and cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/name. if the screen is un > readable, then ssh in and find out.
Will do. The machine is busy for the rest of the evening so that will be tomorrow. Booting with {none} using the install kernel is the same problem I'm having booting my kernel so your idea about saving this data is good. thanks.
> > also, i assume you are using dvvi with that mac mini. i think those have > only dvi ?
No, I'm using VGA. My Mini came with a little unit that screws into the DVI port and has a 15-pin VGA connector on the outward side to drive a regular monitor. the monitor worked with OS X on this machine before I blew OS X away today.
> > the large cd that is 700+ MB has all the packages on it i think. i always > use the smallest one and just download the packages. ( i have a package > cache on my file server so its fast)
Yeah, I think that's just an oversite on the developer's part. Better that they make a DVD iso image if they need to make it that big or else cut out a few packages. I tried to order anything larger than 700MB last night on line and couldn't even find them. No big deal for now. I'm done and the machine is built. From here out the CD hardly matters. (I hope!)
> > i dont use k3b, cdrecord. if the cd were bad or wrong, you would not get > this far :)
Yep. Thanks, Mark