From: Marcio Luis Teixeira <marciot@×××××××××××××××.edu>
To: Martin Monsorno <monsorno@×××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] crashes on ibook
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:05:35
1 On Friday 03 January 2003 07:12 am, Martin Monsorno wrote:
2 > | vector: 700 at pc = 00000000, lr = c0007648 (T power_save+0x84)
3
4 Could it have to do with the computer going to sleep? I wonder if that's what
5 the "power_save" means.
6
7 Anyhow, I had a lot of trouble initially with my PowerBook (again, a 3400c,
8 not an iBook) with sleep, but now it works pretty well. For what it is worth,
9 I will give you some ideas which helped with my machine, but may not work
10 with yours since we're comparing apples and oranges (no pun intended ;)
11
12 The package which ordinariliy handles sleep in the Mac is "pmud". You might
13 want to make sure you have that installed, or at least upgraded to the latest
14 version:
15
16 emerge pmud
17 rc-update add default pmud
18
19 Second, do you dual boot? The reason I ask, is that for the 3400c at least,
20 there are issues with the power saving software which is stored in the
21 non-volatile RAM (a.k.a PRAM) of the computer. The way I understand it, that
22 software is loaded by Mac OS and Linux does not know how to update it if it
23 gets erased. So, if sleep acts flacky under Linux, a good solution is to boot
24 into Mac OS once, and then go into the power saving control panel to give it
25 a chance to refresh. For the PowerBook 3400c, there are specific instructions
26 in the manual on how to force this power management software to be flushed
27 and reloaded again. Doing so has solved a great deal of instability issues
28 with my PowerBook.
29
30 Again, please take this advise with a grain of salt. These tricks worked for
31 me on a 3400c using Mac OS 8.6. I'm pretty sure a lot has changed with your
32 iBook, so I wouldn't try anything before researching it :)
33
34 Marcio Luis Teixeira
39 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list