From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:18:15
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
> > mtab is generated on boot as you mount devices. It's not the problem here. > > Can you try adding this line to your yaboot config? It will make the > system boot directly into a shell instead of starting init: > ### Put this in the kernel section > append="init=/bin/bash" > > Once this boots, does hda* exist in /dev? How about /dev/null and /dev/zero? > > -Joe
OK, so I did it like this: boot=/dev/hda2 #device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0: device=hd: timeout=30 install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot image=/boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r1 label=Gentoo-2.6.34-r1 append="init=/bin/bash" partition=4 root=/dev/hda4 read-only and ran ybin -v When I reboot I have no keyboard and cannot probe around. The screen is showing (none) / # The kernel boots with printk timing info on each line, and then finishes with two messages: bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device bash: no job control in this shell and at that point the machine is hung. So this seems like it's just not finding the hardware at this point? No disk? No keyboard? If you want to see the whole screen I can post another screen shot on Flickr. Thanks for the interest and help. I'm sure we'll figure it out. - Mark

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?! Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>