From: Marcio Luis Teixeira <marciot@×××××××××××××××.edu>
To: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>, gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] Excessive disk use?
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:45:06
1 On Monday 21 October 2002 12:30 pm, Mark Guertin wrote:
2 > You don't have anything to worry about really, the default CFLAGS would
3 > be pretty much the same as the suggested cflags in make.conf in your
4 > case.
5
6 The "make.conf" file suggests:
7
8 CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -mcpu=603e -mpowerpc-gfxopt -fsigned-char"
9
10 (where I replaced 750 with 603e, as per the instructions)
11
12 That line was commented out. You say that these are equivalent to the
13 defaults? I expected that the defaults would compile for the 601, no? Is the
14 "-02" option on by default? (where do I find these defaults?)
15
16 > Most users dont' isntall the -dev files if they don't need them,
17 > with Gentoo when you isntall a pkg you get the whole pacakge including
18 > all the headers and the includes and the like. This is required in
19 > gentoo as you compile all your own things from src and they are
20 > required.
21
22 Ah, ok, that make sense. I hadn't thought of that :) Thanks for pointing it
23 out.
24
25 Anyhow, I also found out that my kernel compiles in "/usr/src" are taking up
26 almost half a gig. That's probably where a lot of the disk space is going.
27 I'll have to clean that up a bit.
28
29 Marcio Luis Teixeira