From: Steven Presser <steve160@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Trouble with install on Old World G3 Powerbook 'wallstreet'
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 12:26:50
1 Hi everyone,
2 First off, let me apologize if my questions have been answered
3 extensively many times, because I'm new to gentoo, and haven't quite
4 learned my way around the documentation yet (although google couldn't
5 find me answers either).
6 I recently acquired a second generation g3 wallstreet (also
7 occasionally noted as a mainstreet, and noted by Apple as 'Powerbook
8 G3 series'). I looked a several other unix/linux operating systems
9 and picked gentoo for its customizability (with limited hard drive
10 space, picking what goes on and what doesn't is rather important to me).
11 I'm currently trying to do a networkless install, using the ppc-
12 universal cd, and I'm caught setting up BootX. I've downloaded BootX
13 1.1.3 (for some reason BootX1.2.2 refused to unstuff on my OS9
14 install), and attempted to copy the correct kernel from CD. However,
15 this is where I'm caught. The install documentation lists a kernel
16 named apple and a file named apple.igz. On the ppc32 install cd,
17 however, these files are nowhere in evidence. Am I missing something
18 really simple? Can someone tell me exactly which files need to be
19 copied to BootX's Linux Kernels folder?
20 So far I've tried coping ppc32 and ppc32.igz from /boot on the cd,
21 and renaming ppc32.igz as required by BootX for it to be seen as a
22 ramdisk (this is purely guesswork), but BootX did not enable booting
23 with a ramdisk. Attempting to boot this way panics because the root
24 filesystem cannot be found. Subsequently, I attempted to boot from
25 the cd by playing with paramaters (it turns out the cd is /dev/hdc on
26 my machine). The current panic I'm getting reads:
27 No Filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 squshfs vfat iso9660
28 xfs
29 Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
30 block(1,0)
31 OR
32 Failed to execute /linuxrc. Attempting defaults...
33 Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. try passing init= option
34 to the kernel.
35 with the second one more prevalent.
36
37 Thanks in advance for your help,