From: Florian Friesdorf <flow@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Linux installed from 2005.1 disk does not start
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:20:14
1 On Saturday 01 October 2005 10:47, Charles Trois wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > I am posting this to both gentoo-user and gentoo-ppc-user lists.
5 > My problem concerns the installation of Gentoo Linux on my G4 iMac,
6 > using the 2005.1 universal ppc disk.
7 >
8 > I should first mention that I have done this before, using the 2005.0
9 > disk, and there was no trouble whatsoever.
10 >
11 > Now I have the same hardware and the same partitions. The install
12 > process went smoothly to its end, the kernel compiled at the first
13 > attempt, and the bootloader is well configured.
14 >
15 > But when I boot and choose "l for Linux", I get this message (copied
16 > by hand):
17
18 Is Mac OS X still booting?
19 Can you still boot from CD?
20
21 > Please wait, loading kernel
22 > Elf32 kernel loaded
24 > System.map loaded at 01700000, size:260 Kbytes
25 > Opening display /pci@f0/NVDA,NVMac@10... ok
26 > Copying OF device tree...done
27 > Calling quiesce...
28 > returning 0x01400000 from prom_init
29 >
30 > And then everything hangs; the only way out is to cut the power.
31
32 I had a similar problem with an iBook G3 (2xUSB) some years ago. It got
33 solved by Apple replacing some hardware. Everything was working fine
34 with Mac OS X but after the linux install it did not want to reboot
35 anymore at all but just brought that quiesce message - however without
36 the returning line - iirc.
37
38 maybe it helps...
39 flo