From: Michael Hanselmann <hansmi@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Kernel panic booting minimal iso on dual G5
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:28:09
1 Hello
2
3 > I just picked up a dual G5 (the 2.7 GHz flavor) and I'm interested in
4 > running gentoo on it as well as OS X. I've been using x86 and
5 > x86_gentoo for quite some time now (back since 1.2).
6
7 > However the ppc64 minimal iso from the mirrors gives a kernel panic
8 > during bootup on this hardware, with the call stack indicating a
9 > driver probe of some sort.
10
11 I think that the 2.7 GHz machines need a newer kernel. You might want to
12 look into the ChangeLog of linux-2.6.12-rc5, I know that there are fixes
13 for exactly those machines in it. You can then build such kernel and
14 netboot it. If you can't build one, you can ask in #gentoo-ppc64 on
15 Freenode.
16
17 Greets,
18 Michael
21 Gentoo Linux Developer using m0n0wall | http://hansmi.ch/
22 I dunno, I dream in Perl sometimes...
23 -- Larry Wall in <8538@×××××××××××××××××××.GOV>