From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] What new profile for an old Mac Mini as a MythTV backend server?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:39:19
1 Hi,
2 I have an older ppc-based Mac Mini that I haven't updated in a
3 while but would like to try using as a MythTV backend server for
4 digital recording only. I don't have a lot of experience with my Mac
5 running Gentoo. I set it up last year but never used it much as a
6 frontend. I like the machine. It's quiet and doesn't draw much power
7 or take up much space so I'm looking for a use for it. The HD Homerun
8 digital tuner outputs MPEG so there isn't much processing power
9 required and I'll be saving everything to an external 1394 drive so it
10 seems to me this is a pretty good match and won't take me too much
11 time to test out.
12
13 My question is which new profile to choose. It was set up last year
14 with a 2007.0 profile which is now depreciated. when I look at the
15 long list of options the question that comes up for me and this
16 application is whether to choose the standard 2008.0 profile or the
17 2008.0 32-bit userland-profile.
18
19 Does anyone with more experience on this platform have any inputs
20 they want to make? I'm leaning toward the standard profile which I
21 think is 64-bit? I assume that's the difference between these two?
22
23 Thanks,
24 Mark