From: Stroller <gentoogimp@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Anyone using IBM "OpenPower" eServers or similar?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:05:17
1 Hi there,
2
3 Is anyone using any of IBM's Power servers under Gentoo, please?
4 Experiences?
5
6 I'm looking for a decent server for a client and thought I'd mail my
7 local IBM supplier to see if they had any recommendations. I don't
8 seem to be able to get a full price-list out of them, rather they're
9 happy to quote for any model in IBM's confusingly large range. They
10 have suggested an Intel Xeon-based Express x3200, but I wasn't sure
11 if I might do better (more bang-per-buck?) going for IBM's own Power
12 processors.
13
14 The sort of specification I have in mind is "low-end redundant", Load
15 & data-throughput aren't going to be high but reliability is
16 obviously important. The client probably doesn't need hot-swap hard-
17 drives & PSUs but can afford to pay for the reassurance that they
18 give him. I'm thinking hot-swappable SATA drives. More details of my
19 requirements are at <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/
20 179014>.
21
22 I've been quoted £1100 for "Express x3200, D C Intel Xeon 3050
23 2.13GHz/1066MHz, 2MB L2, 2x512MB, O/Bay HS SATA/SAS, CD-ROM 48x-20x,
24 2x430W p/s", "Express 160GB HS SATA II (39M4522)", "Remote Supervisor
25 Adapter II Slimline Refresh 1" & "3 Year Onsite Repair 9x5 Next
26 Business Day (4362)" if that's any help.
27
28 Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
29
30 Stroller.
33 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list