From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:45:35
1 On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 >  My responses are inline this time. It's easier when there's so much
3 > going on!
4 >
5 > On 09/23/10 16:41, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 >> Two pictures posted:
7 >>
8 >> Top half of boot screen:
9 >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018717650/
10 >>
11 >> Bottom half of boot screen
12 >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29328985@N03/5018718202/
15 > Okay, these look exactly as expected. You've booted into the shell fine
16 > and the kernel does detect the hard drive fine. It appears that the disk
17 > was not cleanly unmounted, which is what the messages in the bottom
18 > picture indicate. Once you get USB working so we can type into the
19 > console, we'll take a look at what's actually going on.
20 >
21 >> Full USB HID support is built as modular. I don't seem to be able to
22 >> change it to built in. make menuconfig is only giving me modular or
23 >> not set.  (Kernel config USB info this is set is at the end)
24 > If you use menuconfig and you go to the "Help" option, it will tell you
25 > what dependencies need to be set in order to build the module. Most
26 > likely, you did not set the USB subsystem itself to be built in.
27 >> lspci says the controller is an Apple controller and the driver is
28 >> 'macio' which seems sensible. I see it in the boot screen I think.
29 >> That driver is built in, but the PATA_MACIO driver is not:
30 >>
31 >> (chroot) livecd linux # cat .config | grep MACIO
32 >> # CONFIG_PATA_MACIO is not set
33 >> CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
34 >> (chroot) livecd linux #
35 >>
36 >> Maybe I've mistakenly left the right disk driver out of the kernel
37 >> thinking the hardware was SATA based? Does the PATA_MACIO option need
38 >> to be set for the Mac Mini? I don't understand how this kernel config
39 >> would have ever worked befor unless I'm confusing where it came from.
42 > You're using the old style driver which results in devices named hdX#.
43 > It's called IDE_PMAC. The new driver which uses the sdX# naming
44 > convention (and uses libpata), is called PATA_MACIO.
45 >
46 >> Does the append="init=/bin/bash" command allow the kernel to load
47 >> drivers or do I need to build USBHID into the kernel to get the
48 >> keyboard to work at this level of boot?
49 >
50 > I would built it in for now, it'll be easier since there's no good way
51 > to get into the system to tell it to load the drivers.
52 >
53 > -Joe
57 Hi Joe,
58 OK, I finished the emerge -e @world. No changes. Still doesn't boot.
59
60 I've put the append="init=/bin/bash" back in and booted. I'm at the
61 console and this is confusing. It seems that /dev/hda4 is probably
62 mounted. I can do
63
64 ls -al /
65
66 I see all the stuff I'd expect to see - /bin, /boot, etc. - and also
67 the two downloads necessary to do the install - portage-latest.tar.bz2
68 & stage3-ppc-20100919.tar.bz2 - so I must be looking at the right
69 physical hard drive.
70
71 However even though I see that stuff simple commands like df don't
72 work yielding something like this:
73
74 (none)/ #df
75 df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory
76
77 Additionally, there is nothing at all under /proc. It's empty!
78
79 Cheers,
80 Mark