From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:45:09
1 > > In any case, you can always extract the full base tarball from the
2 > > installation CD. You will get more than what is needed but you
3 > > wont have to reinstall. It messes a little the system but you
4 > > can always remove later any files not owned by any installed ebuilds.
5 >
6 > Thank you, this is what I'll do.
7 >
8 > > David
9 >
10 > -d
13 Well, bad news. I re-extracted the tarball, and all seemed to be going well.
14 It still booted, and there were no segfaults. I emerged sync'ed again to see
15 if portage is working, and it seemed fine. So I start with installing vim
16 (can't stand nano ;)) and it wants to install a few packages, (ctags,
17 vim-core, vim, gentoo-syntax) so off I go. It gets through ctags just fine,
18 but then drops me back at a prompt, even though there were no errors! Huh?
19
20 So I try again:
21
22 eden etc # emerge -vp vim
23 Segmentation fault
24 eden etc # ls -l
25 Segmentation fault
26
27 I don't know why it is doing this, and I no longer care. I am just going to
28 reinstall, as I don't really want to begin this systems life in such a
29 botched state, even if it is possible to fix.
30
31 I do appreciate your help though, and hopefully with a clean slate things will
32 go better for me :)
33
34 Thanks,
35 -d
36 --
37 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
38 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
39 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972