From: tom <listbox@×××××××.net>
To: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Re: RTFM
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:45:32
1 Pieter Van den Abeele wrote:
2
3 > I'm sorry to hear that. Feel free to contribute, -that- is what oss people do.
4 > Gentoo-ppc is a product directly related to the time volunteers spend on it,
5 > saying that people who work on this are crap, makes them wanna leave.
6 >
7 > no people == no gentoo-ppc
8 >
9 > It is as simple as that. I am aware of these problems and am trying to fix them.
10 > have you tried if latest rc8 iso/stages fixes these problems? I need
11 > feedback.
14 Pieter,
15
16 I am not saying that the people who work on this are crap. I am saying
17 that the *quality* of what is being offered as Release Candidates has
18 declined. Very basic and intrinsic parts of the installation, such as
19 being able to find GCC or having a make.conf are broken.
20
21 I, as a user, have spent time on irc helping others over these problems
22 so they are not put off and migrate to a binary distribution that "just
23 works". I had even offered time to you as a tester with an oldworld
24 machine to help resolve some of these ppc problems. Time and resources
25 are limited for everybody, and by working as a community, we are able to
26 work around these problems. I can fix my system, and tell others how to
27 fix theirs, but you are the one who can actually prevent the problems in
28 the first place.
29
30 I was not trying to attack anyone personally, just expressing my
31 disappointment at the turn gentoo-ppc has taken recently.
32
33 tom
37 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list