From: Rich Healey <richo@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Kernel Upgrade
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:36:26

Just a quick introduction, and sharing of good news.

I upgraded my PPC64 mac (iMac G5) to 2.6.27 today, I had huge issues
getting a kernel I liked (Couldn't really justify bloating it to just
`make it work' on a gentoo machine..) to run on the machine (unfamiliar

Anyway, .26 was released, I had issues with it on my x64 machines, but
decided to give it a burl on my mac. 2 days of messing with the config
and I got nowhere, gave up and stuck with .24

Today, portage pulled the .27 sources in and I though `What the hell'.

make oldconfig, answer the questions sensibly, build, install; by now
I've forgotten the OF command to boot a different kernel, so I cross my
fingers, symlink /boot/vmlinux to my shiny new .27 kernel and reboot.

EVERYTHING works, flawlessly, nothing needed tuning, nothing needed
tweaking, it all just went.

AFAIK I have not had any obvious gains either, ie can't do anything I
couldn't do before (at least not anything I know of), but I felt I'd
share my joy, and ask if anyone else had had the same issues in the
past, or successes in the much more recent past!

Kind regards, I look forward to conversing with you all.

- --
Richo -                                          - richo@×××××××××.net
Developer / Systems Admin                       - OpenPGP: 0x8C8147807
MSN: bitchohealey@×××××××.com                       AIM: richohealey33    ->              #hbh #admin       ((richohealey))     ->              #hbh #debian      ((PythonNinja))
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -