From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] 2.6.x in OldWorld PowerBook
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:31:10
1 On Wednesday 18 August 2004 10:51, mauricio hernàndez wrote:
2
3 > partition) BUT.... after I see the first five white lines over this
4 > beatiful black bakground... the SCREEN GOES BLACK and I see nothing!
5 > The white lines get lost and the onlything I can do is hear the sound
6 > of my drive working.
7
8 I had a similar problem when installing 2.4.something on my PowerMac
9 8600. The first few lines of the boot sequence would show up, and then
10 nothing else -- the screen did not go black, but nothing else displayed.
11 By some blind typing I was able to log in and start sshd, and therefore I
12 was able to log in from another machine to experiment. (BTW, the very
13 first time you start sshd it may take several minutes until it is active,
14 because it has to generate some keys. After that first time, it's almost
15 instant.)
16
17 If I remember right, the problem was that I had not enabled framebuffer
18 support in the kernel; after building a new kernel with framebuffer,
19 everything is normal. I can send you my working kernel config tomorrow
20 if you'd like... it's too late tonight to boot that Mac up. :)
23 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
24 //
25 // ==] What would Jeeves do? [==
26 //