From: Richard Jones <gentoo-ppc-user@×××××.com>
To: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo PPC <gentooppc-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] Xserve
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 04:39:53
1 On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:18:51PM -0500, Mark Guertin wrote:
2 [snip]
3 > forked mach for Jaguar) they would be making more progress IMHO. Eye candy
4 > and headless servers... what's the point?
5
6 Very pointless, but very pretty...
7
8 I was planning on having a go at installing from within OS X, we've
9 got these machines on sale or return for a month so I've got to
10 *try* and do something with them.
11
12 Is it possible to repartition within the OS? fdisk doesn't seem to
13 work. I don't seem to be able to select the right disk, I've tried
14
15 fdisk /dev/hda # a guess
16 fdisk /dev/disk0 # from /dev
17 fdisk /dev/rdisk0 # from /dev
18 fdisk /dev/hd0 # from /etc/fstab.hd
19 fdisk /dev/sd0 # from /etc/fstab.sd
20 fdisk /dev/rd0 # from /etc/fstab.rd
21
22 The GUI tool does the right thing and won't let me do anything
23 either.
24
25 Otherwise, could anyone recommend another distro to get some kind of
26 system bootstrapped? I know X serve is not officially supported by
27 the kernel, but it "looks" like it just needs a little push (and
28 some new USB drivers!).
29
30 R
33 Richard Jones