From: "David Bélanger" <dbelan2@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 01:50:31
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:12:05PM -0800, darren kirby wrote:
> quoth the David Bélanger: > > On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:33:14PM -0800, darren kirby wrote: > > > > Did you try the glibc on the installation/Live CDs? > > If there is no packages, simply copy all the glibc files over and try > > it. > > I have the universal install disk. The glibc package here will just be source > code wont it? I guess I could just re-unpack the stage 3 file, but I am > unsure how this will affect the packages I have already installed/updated, > such as everything you do after unpacking the stage tarball in the install > guide. > > I am unsure of how to separate the glibc files from the rest in the stage > tarball. >
If you can boot a Live/Installation CD, there will be a glibc on the / filesystem mounted by the kernel. To get a list of files, you can use the database on your disk: /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-*/CONTENTS Basically, you just want to have a valid set of files so that you can rebuild glibc. I erased before coreutils (ls, rm, cp, etc.) and I simply copied all of them from my Debian partition. For some weird version the ones on the Gentoo CD were not working... Once, I had valid binaries, I just re-emerged coreutils and everything was fine. Anyway, you might want to consider adding "buildpkg" to FEATURES in /etc/make.conf. That way, next time something goes wrong you just re-installed the previous version. buildpkg will do a tarball for everything that gets installed on your system. So, you never get stuck by not have a pre-compiled package. In any case, you can always extract the full base tarball from the installation CD. You will get more than what is needed but you wont have to reinstall. It messes a little the system but you can always remove later any files not owned by any installed ebuilds. David --- David Bélanger Web page: Public key: -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system. darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>