From: Gene Shepherd <shepherg@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] xmms, OSS, KDE...
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 04:28:50
1 Alright, here is my problem...
2
3 I am running KDE 3.1 and I am wanting to play MP3s in xmms, the only way I have been able to do this is by killing the artsd server (relinquishing KDE of it's ability to make noise) which is something I DON'T want to do, or by using the arts driver for xmms. The arts driver would be fine if I could play it in 16 bit. There is an extremely noticable difference between 8 and 16 bit playback.
4
5 Ok, Gerk mentioned on the irc chatroom something about using Threaded OSS in KDE and then being able to use OSS in xmms, I have tried, but I am not completely positive on what I am doing so, all I did was change to Threaded Open Sound Server in the drop box in the System Sound in Control Panel of KDE. Sound works in KDE still, BUT xmms is saying that the sound device is being blocked :(
6
7 Any ideas?
8
9 Gene