From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo PPC User <gentoo-ppc-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo on NuBus
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:52:53
1 On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2
3 > I just joined this list, so I don't know if this subject has been
4 > covered before. I have a PowerMac 6100/60. Unfortunately, its pre-PCI,
5 > so its *cringe* NuBus. Well, I'm currently running YellowDog Linux 2.1
6 > on it using a custom kernel patched with support for NuBus that i cross
7 > compiled from one of my x86 boxes. Can this same thing be done with Gentoo?
8 > I was skimming the PPC Install doc and it said something about
9 > auto-probing PCI hardware, which if I'm not mistaken, would cause the
10 > box to lock up. So, even if I compiled a custom kernel, would I get
11 > caught here trying to install?
12
13 With the old 1.2 cd probably not. The newest ppc livecd is probably what
14 you're looking for. Just replace the kernel, boot using bootX and the
15 thing should work.(if you can get the gcloop.o module to compile and run
16 for your config) I can build a custom nubus livecd if you send me the
17 kernel source and the config you're using. I might be able to build a
18 really small one especially for nubus if you want.
19
20 gcloop hasn't been tested on oldworld yet I think, but it should work.
21 without gcloop the livecd wouldn't be that small (more like 200-300 meg
22 instead of 60M
23
24 > If I can get past this, are there any other pitfalls that anyone else
25 > who has done this before would care to tell me about? Also, does anyone
26 > have a URL to a doc on how to set up a cross-compiler in Gentoo?
27
28 join #gentoo-embedded ask zwelch
29
30 > I've installed Gentoo many times on x86 boxes and love it. It has
31 > quickly become my favorite distribution. I want all of my computers to
32 > be running Gentoo :)
33
34 :-)
35