From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:52:52
1 On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 >  On 09/25/10 16:40, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 > Okay, let's try a few things now that we can boot the machine (even if
6 > it's not all the way!).
7 >
8 > First, lets mount proc:
9 > # mount -t procfs none /proc
12 OK - to me this doesn't look good:
13
14 # mount -t procfs none /proc
15 mount:none has wrong device number or fs type procfs not supported
16
17 on the off chance you menat proc instead of procfs I tried it that way
18 and got a slightly more reasonable message:
19
20 # mount -t proc none /proc
21 can't create lock file /etc/mtab~1038: Read-only file system (use -n
22 flag to override)
23
24 > Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
27 Worked fine. fsck.ext3 said it was clean
28
29 > Next, let's remount the root file system read/write so we can modify files:
30 > # mount -o remount,rw /
31 >
32 Seemed to work. Got this message:
33
34 EXT3-fs: (hda4):using internal journal
35
36 > We'll copy the current mount information from proc to /etc/mtab and see
37 > if that helps:
38 > # cp /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab
39 > # mount -o remount,ro /
40 >
41 > Now, try fsck.ext3 again. Does it work?
42 >
43 > If so, try rebooting the system again. Does it boot now?
46 Didn't boot but got a little farther. Doesn't complain about mtab
47 anymore but still complains:
48
49 * Checking root filesystem...
50 fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
51 /dev/hda4:
52 The superblock could not be read......
55 <SNIP>
56
57 >> The boot still fails at the same point with the same message. Possibly
58 >> some other ATA driver is being selected ahead of this one and maybe it
59 >> needs to be removed from the kernel? I don't know what to remove
60 >> though so I'm sort of stuck on that account.
61 >>
62 > The old PMAC_IDE driver is getting picked before the PATA_MACIO driver.
63 > If you'd like to try the newer driver, you'll need to disable the old
64 > one first.
65
66 OK - I'll go back in and look at my kernel config again. Thought I'd
67 post these results for now.
68
69 Please remember, I'm extremely thankful for all your help and the help
70 of others on this frustrating little problem.
71
72 Cheers,
73 Mark