From: Alvaro Zuniga <alvaro@××××××××××××.com>
To: Phil Cryer <phil@×××××.us>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo 1-4.rc7 LiveCD on a 350Mhz iMac - X trouble
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 18:06:00
1 Hi Phil,
2
3 I am attaching a configuration file that I saved while running
4 Yellowdog. I was trying Debian and Mandrake and I could not get X going
5 on neither of those. Yellowdog and Gentoo were the two I could use.
6
7 Notice that this XF86config is for a G4 with the Apple studio display.
8 However, it has some modelines specific to the imac. Also, did you try
9 the conmmand:
10
11 XFree86 -configure
12
13 This is what the man pages say about it and it worked great on my computer.
14
15 -configure
16 When this option is specified, the X server loads all
17 video
18 driver modules, probes for available hardware, and
19 writes out
20 an initial XF86Config(5x) file based on what was
21 detected.
22 This option currently has some problems on some
23 platforms, but
24 in most cases it is a good way to bootstrap the
25 configuration
26 process. This option is only available when the server
27 is run
28 as root (i.e, with real-uid 0).
29
30 After you do this you might want to check for your mouse because as I
31 recall the imac has a USB mouse. The input device under Gentoo is
32 /dev/input/mice.
33
34 Good luck,
35
36 Alvaro Zuniga
37
38 Phil Cryer wrote:
39
40 >I downloaded and burned the live GentooPPC with Gnome. Tried it out on my
41 >daughters 350Mhz (slot loading) iMac with 512Megs RAM. Disk boots up fine and
42 >get's into Gentoo (so nice to see on her little iMac), but once I get done
43 >running Xeasyconf, I can't get X running. No screens found regardless of how
44 >many times I try/retry to configure the video. Does anyone have this running?
45 >What settings were used?
46 >
47 >It's very exciting to have this option, should be fun to start mailing my
48 >Maconly friends some cdrs with this for them to try out. I'm planning on trying
49 >it out here at work today on a dual 800 box too.
50 >
51 >Thanks
52 >P

XF86Config-4.G4 text/plain