From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Gentoo ppc - still supported?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:04:54
1 On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Terin Stock <terinstock@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > If it's just going to be sitting in a closet collecting Apple-dust, then I'd
3 > say yes, it's certainly worth the extra effort.
4 > :P
5 > --
6 > #Terin Stock
9 Worse - it would likely just go in the trash. You can buy these things
10 on Ebay sometimes as low as $50 so I was just thinking it didn't make
11 a lot of sense to spend time and money on it, but that's not a good
12 attitude so maybe I should give it a try.
13
14 I'll ask some questions in this thread. If I need to create another
15 then I'll do that.
16
17 BACKGROUND: I'm primarily an x86 Gentoo user since 1999. I'm a
18 hardware guy and not an IT guy and don't have _any_ sys admin
19 background other than managing my own Gentoo boxes. I'm familiar with
20 the distro from the sense of keeping my machines running after using
21 Gentoo for a decade. I know NOTHING about Apple machines. I do audio
22 recording and bought the Mac to play with Apple OS X apps but grew
23 tired of OS X pretty quickly and started using this machine as a
24 MythTV backend server a few years ago.
25
26 STATUS: The machine starts booting, the kernel comes up and runs
27 through and it starts initializing all the services and what not.
28 (Where it says either [OK] or [!!]. ) It gets to 'Checking root
29 filesystem ... ' and then fails with a 'superblock could not be read'
30 message. I tried the suggest e2fsck -b 8193 command but that didn't
31 work. It's never worked for me.
32
33 Since I was going to do a complete machine rebuild anyway - I haven't
34 touched it in quite awhile as I didn't want to update Myth - I thought
35 I'd try using a new CD. (the reason I started this thread.) When
36 booting from either 2008 or 2009 CD I get the boot screen. If I hit
37 enter I get a message about ramdisk loading and then
38
39 Invalid memory address at SRR0:0197a930 SRR1:00083030
40
41 but is also says
42
43 Apple PowerMac 1-,2.4.9.4f0 BootROM built on 7/6/05
44
45 Welcome to Open Firmware
46
47 To continue booting type mac-boot
48 ok
51 If I try mac-boot it just hangs at:
56 Now this page
57
58 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml
59
60 doesn't even mention the Mac Mini so I'm guessing it's part of the New
61 World class of machines. The instructions suggest:
62
63 boot: apple video=ofonly
64
65 but I get a message
66
67 cd:2,apple: Unknown or corrupt filesystem
68
69 So, am I doing something wrong trying to boot from the CD or is the
70 machine somehow not working correctly?
71
72 Thanks,
73 Mark