From: matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 00:06:23
On Apr 16, 2008, at 6:19 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote: >> >> apple kernel ? that would be darwin. i think you mean linux >> kernel ? > > Well, yes, it's a Linux kernel but named 'apple' I think. The > instructions you see when you boot from the Gentoo 2007.0 universal > install CD say to execute essentially one of these two commands: > > boot: apple > > or > > boot: apple video=ofonly > > when I boot without ofonly I get messed up text. > > I've got OpenFirmware frame buffer, nvidia and ATI compiled in. EDID > also. The machine is acting like it's just not choosing them, assuming > the problem I'm seeing is the same one I see booting the kernel on the > install CD. How does one make the kernel choose or not choose the FB > at boot time? I'm familiar with doing this stuff in grub but this is > my first experience with yaboot. > > My kernel is 2.6.24-gentoo-r3. It boots fine and the machine is > working great at least from an ssh session where I'm not looking at > this frame buffer stuff. that's fine for the next day or two as I let > it build stuff I might want to run on it. > > Note that if it matters I had to use the 2007.0 CD since the current > ISO image for the 2008.0 beta is too large to fit on a 700MB CD-R, at > least according to K3b. I don't have any larger CD-Rs available right > now. > > The processor in this machine is a 7447A, clock-1.5GHz. lspci says > it's a RV280 [Radeon 9200] graphics chip
if you have radeon why do you have nvidiafb comiled in ? boot with these 3 combinations: ofonly, radeonfb, {none} then for each, cat /proc/fb and cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/name. if the screen is un readable, then ssh in and find out. also, i assume you are using dvvi with that mac mini. i think those have only dvi ? the large cd that is 700+ MB has all the packages on it i think. i always use the smallest one and just download the packages. ( i have a package cache on my file server so its fast) i dont use k3b, cdrecord. if the cd were bad or wrong, you would not get this far :) matt -- gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o mailing list