From: ds9 <milter@××××.fr>
To: Daniele Florio <florio.gnu@××××××××××.it>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Problem getting started with gentoo.
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:53:28
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:35:36AM +0200, Daniele Florio wrote:
4 > Hi
5 >
6 > > Should I be booting with the default G4?
7 >
8 > Yes, the G3 kernel is not avaiable on the 2004.0 universal. I've
9 > installed Gentoo on my G3 800 iBook and everything was ok.
10
11 => There is a fixed ISO offering a working G3 select choice on
12 http://www.metadistribution.org/gentoo/2004.0/ .
13 But with the ISO on most mirrors the G4 choice is to be used as
14 there is a small typo with thee G3 choice.
17 > > When I try running /sbin/ifconfig it only shows "lo" configuration.
18 > > I was unable to find "net-setup" referenced in the on-line manual.
21 > You have to load the module "sungem" with 'modprobe sungem'. After that
22 > you should be able to see eth0 with ifconfig.
23 >
24 => Yes. I was too surprised to find out that there is no net-setup.
25 Maybe this command works only for some architectures (* can the
26 manual be fixed accordingly ? *)
27
28 I've managed to install Gentoo on an external firewire disk
29 plugged to my ibook 700Mhz 2001 late ed. The only thing
30 missing is to make yaboot load my kernel.
31 See :
32 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=116380&start=25
33
34 I would appreciate in making it work - I plan to contribute
35 to Gentoo if I can run it :-)
36
37 Regards,
38