From: Markus Kuschnik <markuschnik@×××.de>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Newbie problem: Mac-fdisk command p doesn't display first and second ATA-harddrive
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:18:27
1 Dear Listmembers,
2
3 Thanks to Joe McMahon's explanation of some boot messages onscreen and
4 Pieter Van den Abeele's advice to use the 2004.0 universal cd, I downloaded
5 and burned the isi image of that new version and I am now able to boot
6 Gentoo on the G5.
7 I also mastered the first steps before the actual installation procedure
8 (changing root-password, creating new user, activating thermal management,
9 activating the proper keymap). Thanks a lot, Pieter and Joe!
10
11 Nevertheless, reaching the stage of partitioning the ATA-harddrives, I did
12 not manage to find the two harddrives via mac-fdisk:
13
14 Typing mac-fdisk /dev/hda brings up the lines
15
16 /dev/hda
17 Command (? for help):
18
19 In order to get the partition table I type "p" (without quotation marks) at
20 the end of the last line. That is what is showing up on screen:
21
22 /dev/hda
23 # type name length base (size)
24 Dump: name /dev/hda len 8
25
26 /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 2 @ 1 (1.0k) Partition map
27 /dev/hda2 Apple_HFS CDROM 1246764 @ 16 (608M) HFS
28
29 Blocksize=512, number of Blocks=1246780
30 DeviceType=0x1, DeviceId=0x1
34 The device hda2 must be the cdrom containing the Gentoo Live CD, but I have
35 no idea about what hda1 is referring to, and why it (the hda, not the
36 partition table, I mean) is of such a small size.
37
38 Perhaps some useful additional information (though I don't know if it is
39 relevant at all): I have one harddrive of 152 GB and one of 70 GB, both of
40 them showing up in Apples system profiler in one branch/directory below
41 k2-sata-root, this directory being on the same level as my cdrom-drive.
42
43 Any helpful hints or explanations form your side are welcome!
44
45 Markus
52 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list