From: Ben Sayer <bsayer@×××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] BootX problem
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:59:23
1 >While the EXT2-fs errors concern me, I long since learned to start with
2 >the first error message, so the "crc error" wedged in the middle has my
3 >concern now. I am able to uncompress the initrd.img file on my Intel
4 >gentoo linux box using gunzip. I have the ramdisk size textbox in BootX
5 >set to 34000. I have been able to install SuSE linux on this box, using
6 BootX.
7
8 I picked up a bit of the answer from a SuSE readme file. It specifies
9 that if one gets a crc error during the boot, one should restart MacOS
10 without extensions (hold down the shift key) and then repeat the BootX
11 procedure. This does indeed work for me in that I get to a very different
12 part of the installation process (keymap selection). Unfortunately there
13 are quite a lot of what I assume are errors that fill the screen (the
14 first of which scroll off). They are a series of messages where the
15 directory and filename changes:
16
17 busybox: /bin/rm: Read-only file system
18 busybox: /bin/rmdir: Read-only file system
19 [etc.]
20
21 After pressing enter in response to the keymap menu I get:
22
23 * Press enter to begin PCI autodetection...
24 [I press enter]
25 * Searching for PCI devices...
26 /etc/init.d/pnp: cut: command not found
27 * PCI autodetection has completed. Press enter to view what was found.
28 [I press enter again]
29 /etc/init.d/pnp: clear: command not found
30 * Modules loaded:
31 Module Size Used by Not tainted
32 * Press enter to continue
33 [I press enter yet again, well aware that things are not right]
34 /etc/init.d/rcS: clear: command not found
35 /etc/init.d/rcS: cat: command not found
36
37 Pleas press enter to activate this console.
38 [which I do and I am presented with the command line where few commands
39 work, one that does is mount:]
40 rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
41 /dev/root on / type ext2 (ro)
42 devfs on /dev type devfs (rw)
43 none on /proc type proc (rw)
44
45 I'm guessing here, but it seems that the '/' should be mounted rw at this
46 point in the install, no?
49 --Ben