From: Mark Guertin <guertin@××××××××××××××.com>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: Gentoo PPC User <gentoo-ppc-user@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] configuring X on a PM 7500
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:56:04
You might try setting a default bit depth of 8, 15 or 16 (15 is
better).  I think the 24 bit is the problem, that it cannot do a 24bit
screen.  The Mach64 GT is notoriously problematic chipset :(

Also what video driver are you booting with?  If you've set the "no
video driver" option in BootX this will cause you problems as X can't
run with the ati driver if you're running offb.  a quick dmesg  | grep
fb should tell you what video driver you are using.

On Wednesday, June 4, 2003, at 06:54 PM, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

> After almost a day of compiling, I've got X installed on my PowerMac > 7500. Unfortunately, I can't get X working right. I keep getting that > annoying "No screens found" error message. I originally tried using 'X > -configure' and tweaking it from there. I specified the HorizSync and > VertRefresh from > <> for my > monitor. I tried using the fbdev driver instead of the ati driver. X > starts, but the color is very, very messed up. I tried using Xeasyconf > and using all the default options. That didn't get me anywhere either. > Here's my current XF86Config as generated by Xeasyconf: >
-- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] configuring X on a PM 7500 Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××××××××××.net>