From: josh <josh@×××××××××××××××.us>
To: Gentoo PPC User <gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Need help/advice installing on Pismo Powerbook
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:41:10
1 All this is on a 400MHz pismo PowerBook with aidport, 512MB RAM and a
2 40G hard drive. The dvd works sometimes but it is moody, so I wish to
3 keep its use to a minimum (totally irrelevant I ordered a DVD-RW/CD-RW
4 replacement but it is back ordered)
5
6 So far I've tried the following:
7
8 I downloaded the live CD iso's. I chose the ones specifically for the
9 G3 since I don't have a G4 (or G5)
10
11 Based on a note in the PPC FAQ: I used Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy
12 Cloner to copy my existing partitions to an external harddrive and
13 then use those images to relocate my Jaguar and OS9 partitions, so
14 that they appeared as the second and third partitions using Disk
15 Utility in OSX. Then reserved about 6G for the installation.
18 I started the installation, and fell on my face completed when it came
19 to generating the kernel. I worry that the instructions on the web
20 site might containt too much information about other systems and
21 alternatives. Was I following the wrong set of instruction?
24 My first attempt was using the airport. I
25 couldn not find a module for the airport but the airport appeared to
26 be working at eth1. I put in the ssid as it said, and it looked like
27 it was up - except for the Mac Address of the router was displaying as
28 44:44:44:44:44:44: and I couldn't connect to anything.
29
30 Then I said to hell with that I connected using the ethernet port at
31 eth0. That worked fine.
32
33 Since everytime I've installed any linux it always takes me a couple
34 of times to get it right, I simply deleted the 6G partition I had
35 created, put in a boot partition at the start of the 6G, a 512MB swap
36 (should I double that given I have 512MB of RAm), and then I just let
37 the rest be root. Not an ideal scheme I suppose, but I didn't see a
38 suggestion - I suppose something like 1G /root 2G /usr and the rest
39 for home might make more sense - but I have no idea on this anymore. I
40 mounted the directories and turned on the swap and untarred the stage3
41 into the root partition all this went fine. I chrooted and that went
42 fine.
43
44 Anyhow all the emerge commands seemed to work find and stuff was
45 downloading. I used the stage 3, that was on the CD to get
46 started. But when I tried to follow the instructions on building a
47 kernel, by using the genkernel the make kept failing.
48
49 I'm just looking for pointers on how to procede. I didn't get the
50 machine to the stage where I could install yaboot. Should I try to do
51 everything off the Live CD first and ignore the net? Is there a more
52 minimal ISO I can download and do everything off the net? I can Is
53 there someone who might have pismo powerbook specific instructions
54 posted somewhere? Can someone tell me what I might have screwed up?
58 Josh Kuperman
63 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list