From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:19:42
1 On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:04 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > > OK, so I then booted from the hard drive and modified /etc/yaboot.conf
4 > > like this:
5 > >
6 > > image=/boot/kernel-2.6.24-gentoo-r3
7 > > label=2.6.24-gentoo-r3
8 > > root=/dev/hda4
9 > > partition=4
10 > > append="video=radeonfb:1024x768-8@60"
11 > > read-only
12 > >
13 > > Unfortunately when I reboot from the drive this time the monitor is
14 > > not stable. Same bad screen I've been getting.
17 > i assume you ran ybin -v after you changed yaboot.conf ?
20 I did not. Is this required with yaboot? If it is it's my mistake
21 totally. It's not required with grub which is what I'm used to using
22 on x86 machines.
23
24 I can see that running ybin -v has an impact on the bootstrap partition:
25
26 MacMini etc # ybin -v
27 ybin: Finding OpenFirmware device path to `/dev/hda2'...
28 ybin: Installing first stage bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot onto /dev/hda2...
29 ybin: Installing primary bootstrap /usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot onto /dev/hda2...
30 ybin: Installing /etc/yaboot.conf onto /dev/hda2...
31 ybin: Setting attributes on ofboot...
32 ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot...
33 ybin: Setting attributes on yaboot.conf...
34 ybin: Blessing /dev/hda2 with Holy Penguin Pee...
35 ybin: Updating OpenFirmware boot-device variable in nvram...
36 MacMini etc #
37
38 I cannot reboot and try it right now as the machine is doing some
39 work. I'll try it later today and let you know how it goes. I suspect
40 this might fix it.
41
42 Once I get this done then I'll strip out a bunch of the leftover stuff
43 from the kernel config and try to slim stuff down a bit.
44
45 Thanks for all your help!
46
47 Cheers,