From: Alden Huang <alden.huang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] new world is a type of hardware or software?
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 06:10:07

So I believe that if you are using an iBook G3, you should always
configure as a "New World." I am assuming its not a clamshell looking
thing. Installing OS9 wouldn't change this.

You might want to set up the partitions using mac-fdisk, as I think the
OSX disk utility costs you some extra blocks. Just put the separate
partitions for OS9 and OSX anywhere after the tiny bootstrap partition,
and configure yaboot accordingly.

At least I think this is correct, someone please correct me if I am
wrong. Best of luck!

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Before I thought Mac OS X is "new world", being a software thing. Mac OS > 9 is "old world". > > Now I am a bit confused. If I wish to run a 3-OS system with Mac OS 9 + > Mac OS X + Gentoo Linux, should I partition my harddisk in old world? > > I suspect I should do the following (currently I am already using Gentoo > Linux on my iBook/G3) > > 1. backup my Linux > 2. Install Mac OS 9 > 3. Install Mac OS X. It should help me to configure it as dual boot. > while leave some empty space; > 4. restore the Linux backup and run yaboot. > > Is this correct? > > Best regards > Zhang Weiwu > > >

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] new world is a type of hardware or software? Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>