From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] What new profile for an old Mac Mini as a MythTV backend server?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:15:37
1 On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM, Ajai Khattri <ajai@××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 May 2009, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>  I have an older ppc-based Mac Mini that I haven't updated in a
5 >> while but would like to try using as a MythTV backend server for
6 >> digital recording only.
7 >
8 > Actually, do you think it has enough CPU power to do video recording and
9 > transcoding? I have my doubts. I have the same Mac Mini. It would however,
10 > make a great remote client to stream video from a MythTV backend server.
13 ACtually, with an HDHR it doesn't have to do much of anything except
14 commercial flagging. I'm using an external USB drive for storage and
15 the HD Homerun for getting the data off the cable. It's VERY early
16 days so I cannot say much at this time but it seems OK at least with
17 test recordings. Give me a few weeks to check it out more completely
18 and I'll post back.
19
20 It seems a perfect solution for this sort of application as the Mac is
21 really just acting as a router to get network traffic from the HDHR to
22 the disk, and then from the disk to the network for remote front ends.
23
24 My fingers are crossed... ;-)
25
26 Cheers,