From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:55:55
1 On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM, <kahl@××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 > Mark,
3 >
4 >  > However I note that I cannot run updatedb for slocate without
5 >  > also getting a message about /etc/mtab not existing. Should mtab exist
6 >  > withing the chroot?
7 >
8 > For certain things, it seems to be needed --- the amd64 handbook includes a
9 > way to get it among the grub instructions.
10 >
11 > By the way, if I recall correctly, you once mentioned you had an ubuntu on
12 > that machine with grub working --- I would just reuse that grub for booting
13 > gentoo. (I have done this before on amd64, but not on any Mac.)
16 > Wolfram
19 Wolfram,
20 On first reading I would have said 'he's crazy!' because grub is
21 for x86/PC architecture only, right? At least I think that's the case
22 with the original grub.
23
24 However apparently grub2 does now run (sort of) on PowerPC:
25
26 http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC
27
28 I think it's more in a testing phase, and if Joe or others help me
29 work out what I'm doing wrong then I won't need grub2, but given a bit
30 of time it might be interesting to try out. Unfortunately the known
31 bug list might make it hard for someone at my experience level.
32
33 Looking in portage it doesn't seem to be available so I'd have to
34 look for an overlay that might have it.
35
36 Thanks,
37 Mark