From: Mike S <michael_six@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Kernel Premption (revisited)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:20:01
1 I don't know if this is valid, but it relates to an earlier discussion.
2 I synced my portage 3 days ago. Did a sudo emerge -fDN world (to get
3 all the source code needed) and then did just sudo emerge -DN yesterday
4 evening. I got up to find my computer frozen, (and the screen blanked)
5 rebooted it and started the emerge -DN again. Again it froze on
6 tar-1.15.1 (I think that's the version) I rebooted and recompiled my
7 gentoo kernel without preemption, and did the emerge -DN again after
8 rebooting with the new kernel and that went fine.
9
10 I had PreEmption enabled and also SMP, since I do have a Dual-Processor
11 machine, now does this mean that the premption doesn't perform well on
12 SMP either or what? And is this just in compiling? I never had a
13 problem with emerging snes9x or totem or libxine, and I think two other
14 packages, so could someone explain this to me?
15
16 Since I do run a Desktop machine, and not a number cruncher or anything
17 like that, can I compile a kernel with preemption for normal use, and
18 one without for emerging and have them use the same /lib/modules? As
19 far as I understand it the modules are loaded depending on the output of
20 uname, and as long as they are both off the same kernel tree with the
21 same, or no, local version, it should work. Am I correct in this?
22
23 --Mike S
24 --
25 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list