From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pr] 0-day ebuilds
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:57:34
1 On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:29:48AM -0500, Eric G Ortego wrote:
2 > I would like to see a section on ( besides in the Changelog) the
3 > changes made to portage. And other things Gentoo specific.
4
5 I'm working on this. A news item for the new Portage 2.0.51 is waiting to be
6 submitted, but it can only go live when it (Portage 2.0.51) is released and
7 in stable.
8
9 What we are dealing here is what all major OSS/FS projects suffer from:
10 interesting news about new features - when are we going to publicize this?
11
12 We can release such news:
13 - before it's implemented, but when the first steps are being persuid
14 (Fedora does this)
15 - when it's implemented in the used versioning system
16 - when it's available for interested users (think ~arch or snapshot
17 releases)
18 - when it's available for general usage
19
20 For Portage 2.0.51, I'm waiting for it to be released generally. I don't
21 know if this is the best approach, but it's the easiest as it gives me
22 sufficient time to collect the necessary information about the upcoming
23 Portage (you'd be surprised how difficult it might be to find enough
24 information to draft a decent news item).
25
26 Information flow is vital for PR. When new projects are started within
27 Gentoo, I believe it is the task of the project lead to inform the public
28 about the project, it's progress, etc.
29
30 We currently do not have a well-known way to do this. The project lead can
31 mail pr@g.o with it's information and ask it to be publicized.
32 Perhaps we might want to document this on our webpage or in the
33 developers handbook. Or we can draft a new way to deal with this (a GLEP
34 would be needed in this case as GLEPs draw much attention :)
35
36 Wkr,
37 Sven Vermeulen
40 Documentation & PR project leader