From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pr] 0-day ebuilds
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:57:34
On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:29:48AM -0500, Eric G Ortego wrote:
> I would like to see a section on ( besides in the Changelog) the > changes made to portage. And other things Gentoo specific.
I'm working on this. A news item for the new Portage 2.0.51 is waiting to be submitted, but it can only go live when it (Portage 2.0.51) is released and in stable. What we are dealing here is what all major OSS/FS projects suffer from: interesting news about new features - when are we going to publicize this? We can release such news: - before it's implemented, but when the first steps are being persuid (Fedora does this) - when it's implemented in the used versioning system - when it's available for interested users (think ~arch or snapshot releases) - when it's available for general usage For Portage 2.0.51, I'm waiting for it to be released generally. I don't know if this is the best approach, but it's the easiest as it gives me sufficient time to collect the necessary information about the upcoming Portage (you'd be surprised how difficult it might be to find enough information to draft a decent news item). Information flow is vital for PR. When new projects are started within Gentoo, I believe it is the task of the project lead to inform the public about the project, it's progress, etc. We currently do not have a well-known way to do this. The project lead can mail pr@g.o with it's information and ask it to be publicized. Perhaps we might want to document this on our webpage or in the developers handbook. Or we can draft a new way to deal with this (a GLEP would be needed in this case as GLEPs draw much attention :) Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- Documentation & PR project leader The Gentoo Project <<< >>>

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pr] 0-day ebuilds Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>