From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-pr@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pr] Gentoo-centric Linux Identity magazine issue
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:44:55
On 17:40 Tue 04 Mar     , Olivier Fisette wrote:
> Hi all, > > With the Gentoo 2008.0 beta scheduled for 3 March [1], Sonny Gaviola [2] and I > have exchanged mails to relaunch the project of a Gentoo-centric issue of the > French version of the Linux Identity magazine [3]. This was discussed before > [4] but put on hold when 2007.1 was cancelled. > > To summarise, we are asked to produce a 36-page magazine issue presenting > Gentoo Linux 2008.0. Suggested topics are: > > 1. Introduction/Editorial (1 page) and Table of Contents (1 page) > 2. DVD contents description (2-4 pages) > - DVD 1 - Bootable install disc, 32 bits version > - DVD 2 - Bootable install disc, 64 bits version > 3. Installing Gentoo 2008.0 (5-8 pages) > 4. System Configuration (5-8 pages) > 5. FAQ and where to find help (4-6 pages) > 6. Three articles on practical topics (4-6 pages); examples: most interesting > applications working under Gentoo 2008.0, tips and tricks, complementary > software, desktop environments, keeping one's system up to date. > > One page is roughly 4000 characters and 2 screen captures. Ideally, the > material should be ready at about the same time as the official release of > Gentoo 2008.0 (scheduled for 17 March), but delays of few weeks are > acceptable. Financial compensation would be 30 USD per page (1080 USD for the > whole issue). > > I would appreciate if the PR team could help me publicise this and motivate > developers to either write something or point me to existing material that we > could use to base articles on. I can take care of translating English > material and plan to write at least two articles, but I doubt I would be up > to writing the whole thing all by myself. Also, is anyone from the PR team > interested in contributing material? > > Here are a few random article ideas: > > - The Gentoo Linux Installer > - Using Portage > - Managing Web applications with webapp-config > - Configuring Java in Gentoo > - Using Portage overlays with layman > - Hard drive encryption using dm-crypt > - A review of music players available in Portage > - A review of desktop environments available in Portage
Hey, I'm sorry for taking forever to reply to this; my non-Linux life has been crazy and just calmed down in the past few days. It looks like the 2008.0 release has graciously slipped to compensate for my tardiness. Previous Gentoo-focused magazine issues (like that one Polish magazine) have publicized this effort on -core, so that might be a good place to start looking for authors. Would you like to take this to -core? It might be worth considering whether the money would go to Gentoo or to individual authors, or whether to let them make the choice. I don't have any time to work on this personally, but I expect a few devs would be interested. Thanks, Donnie -- gentoo-pr@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pr] Gentoo-centric Linux Identity magazine issue Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>