From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-proctors@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-proctors] Documents sent to council
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:32:04
I was waiting for the "We'll talk about them in a bit." part or some other
reactions to this. As there have been none so far, here's what *I*
think. :-)

On Friday, June 15, 2007 04:20:56 PM Ferris McCormick wrote:
> You asked for the documents musikc sent to council. Here they are.
"E. [Proctors/Devrel] determine recruiting needs and recruit to achieve them." Members of an institution that is supposed to impose disciplinary action on Gentoo devs and others should not be recruited but elected. Otherwise their authority will be challenged all the time. Elected members will have at least a *bit* more autority. "There is no option to think about it --- either make a stop or let it go." That's a rather bad idea - no option to think about how to handle a situation? If I were cynical, I'd say that's what got you into the current situation. ;) "They [Proctors] work "real time"" That'll lead to rushed (and therefore potentially wrong) decisions. IMO, we don't need proctors but if the proctors are kept, they should work on a comlaint basis, too. Suppose both parties come from "Czamistan" - they both know "big-balled goat lover" is not an insult but a compliment - why should proctors react? Suppose I come from Germany (which I do :-) ) and am being called a "big-balled goat lover" - if you could see me, you'd witness me roaring with laughter. Even though I don't know what "Czamistan" is and that this is meant to be a compliment. Many people can, btw, read between the lines and understand what is actually meant. :-) We don't a big brother watching us - we can decide for ourselves if we're offended or not. If we are, we can either complain to DevRel (if the other party is a dev) or, if the proctors are kept, to proctors. Without proctors, we can simply ignore non-dev offenders. We may have to deal with other devs but there's no obligation to interact with certain users. "and after some conditioning", "re-orientation" and some other terms used in either or both documents. I'm sorry and maybe it comes from the cultural differences but, honestly, to me this sounds like we're going to have "re-education camps" for the "misguided". Best regards, Wulf

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-proctors] Documents sent to council Ranjit Singh <ranjit@×××××××××.com>