From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 08:19:33
1 On Mon, 2020-02-24 at 11:08 +0300, Mikle Kolyada wrote:
2 > On 24.02.2020 10:47, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 2020-02-22 at 22:35 -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:39 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > > On Fri, 2020-02-21 at 22:11 +0000, Roy Bamford wrote:
7 > > > > > This 'revision' group alread exists. Its called the Gentoo council.
8 > > > > > Unless, that is, council have no oversight of comrel?
9 > > > > No, that's not how things work. You don't have an appeal body
10 > > > > proactively look into what all projects are doing.
11 > > > >
12 > > > I think by definition this is reactive. Comrel publishes a report[0], and
13 > > > the Council[1] reviews it.
14 > > I thought we've already established that the reports are meaningless.
15 > >
16 > > The way I see it, your system basically means that, repeatedly:
17 > >
18 > > 1. ComRel does their job.
19 > >
20 > > 2. ComRel wastes their time publishing a meaningless report.
21 > >
22 > > 3. Since the report is meaningless, Council has to audit ComRel's work.
23 > >
24 > > Since digging for past data is usually more effort than processing it
25 > > as it flows, Council may as well start proactively auditing everything.
26 > > Except that's not its purpose, and I don't see why we should throw
27 > > random extra tasks on their plate just because.
28 > >
29 > > In my opinion, if we are to go for auditing ComRel, we should select
30 > > a separate group of people for that, people that choose to put their
31 > > effort into auditing rather than incidentally get dragged into it.
32 > > Furthermore, I believe this group should not have any direct deciding
33 > > power. Instead, they should bring any issues their find to ComRel's
34 > > attention and/or appeal them to the Council.
37 > This is meaningless also, because an individual who finds ComRel
38 > decision unacceptable can appeal to Council directly, you do not need
39 > third party layer here.
40
41 The individual can only judge the reply to his own request. He lacks
42 the wider context to audit the process and decisions (or lack of them)
43 wrt multiple different requests.
44
45 This works both ways. People are also making accusations and claim
46 about ComRel based on what they guess might be happening.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny