From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Proxy-Maintainer heartbeats (re:sunrise/proxy-maint discussion)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 21:44:12
1 Greetings,
2
3 On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:14:27 +0000 (UTC) NP-Hardass wrote:
4 > With the ongoing discussion about the state of both the sunrise and proxy-
5 > maintainer, I thought it appropriate to bring up an issue that I've
6 > encountered with the proxy-maintainer system, and would like to propose a
7 > solution to it at the same time.
8 >
9 > The current workflow (of which I am content with), is that bugs should be
10 > assigned to the proxy maintainer, so that they are responsible to fixing
11 > issues with the package (and it's ebuilds). Unfortunately, this has an
12 > unintended consequence that if a proxy maintainer times out (goes AWOL), the
13 > bugs in bugzilla sit, assigned to someone who is unlikely to respond at all.
14 >
15 > To counter this, I'd like to propose a heartbeat system, whereby a master
16 > list of users involved in proxy-maintenance is kept. On a regular basis, an
17 > email is sent to the user, confirming their status as an active proxy-
18 > maintainer. Failure to do so within some reasonable period of time results
19 > in the user being dropped as a proxy maintainer, and all bugs that were
20 > assigned to said user are reassigned. The reassignment could be to any
21 > number of targets, depending on how flexible we'd want the system to be.
22 > They could all be assigned to a target for timed-out packages, they could be
23 > assigned to their original herds, etc.
24 >
25 > Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
26 >
27 > Thanks in advance.
28
29 I assume you mean a proxied maintainer (a user maintaining a
30 package via a proxy), not a proxy maintainer (a developer proxying
31 packages for users).
32
33 If we'll have a per-maintainer ping (e.g. one ping for each
34 maintainer regardless number and state of maintained packages),
35 then we'll end up in a situation, where maintainer is active, but
36 maintains only a subset of assigned packages.
37
38 If we'll ping each proxied maintainer on per-package level, this
39 will be too irritating (at least from my perspective I'll burn that
40 with fire).
41
42 I see no better alternative to ping-before-takeover. Though as you
43 should remember from openafs experience, this takes time (which is
44 also irritating). But we almost never know why someone is
45 unavailable, so it will be impolite to kick people if they are
46 out of reach for a month or two.
47
48 Best regards,
49 Andrew Savchenko