From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: mgorny@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Reducing use of SMW in favor of something sane
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 17:13:52
1 On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 01:02:55PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > TL;DR: MediaWiki sucks, SMW even more; let's start moving important
5 > stuff out of it and into something sane. What replacements do you
6 > suggest?
9 > There was a long period during which we've attempted to move a lot of
10 > Gentoo out of fancy XML files and into Wiki. This happened for project
11 > docs, this happened for entire project structure and more more stuff.
12 > On the other hand devmanual is still using fancy XML files in its own
13 > git repository, and the main g.o site is using Jekyll.
14 >
15 > Now that the main SMW proponent is MIA, I think it's time we look back
16 > and think whether what has happened over time was good. I think it
17 > wasn't, and I have a number of arguments to support that:
18 >
19 > 1. SMW lacks proper review platform, and the workflow is not suitable
20 > for project docs.
21 >
22 > 2. It has a pretty high entry barrier, and is poorly documented.
23 >
24 > 3. Preview is half-working, and insufficient for more complex work.
25 >
26 > 4. It lacks proper offline editing capabilities.
27 >
28 > 5. The watching (mail notifications) are awfully cumbersome.
29 >
30 > 6. It is slow.
33 7. Related to the high entry barrier, it has an even higher entry
34 barrier for accessibility. Editing documentation in a browser is unwieldy
35 at best and impossible at worst.
36
37 I looked at the git mediawiki module as an alternative, but it is
38 extremely unwieldy as well and would put a lot of load on the server.
39
40 I, too, realize that it would take a lot of time and effort, but I would
41 definitely support migrating *all* of our documentation out of mw into some kind
42 of flat files (rst? markdown? some other format?) which could be
43 edited/previewed locally and rendered on the web easily.
44
45 William