From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The problem of defunct and undermanned projects in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 20:12:20
1 On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:25:31 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On wto, 2017-07-18 at 22:35 +0100, M. J. Everitt wrote:
7 > > > On 18/07/17 22:23, Kent Fredric wrote:
8 > > > > On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 22:12:45 +0100
9 > > > > "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
10 > > > >
11 > > > > > I think mgorny was doing some general commit stats, and I have yet to
12 > > > > > compile my own, but it would be very interesting to see how many
13 > > > > > 'active' team members there were in any given project. I suspect the
14 > > > > > results could be very telling ...
15 > > > >
16 > > > > Its not even like they're "inactive", they're just not active *in the
17 > > team*.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > For some, there's no reason for them to devaway:
20 > > > >
21 > > > > - They're on IRC
22 > > > > - They commit daily
23 > > > >
24 > > > > But they're on teams they seldom do things in.
25 > > > >
26 > > > > This is probably more true the more teams you're on.
27 > > >
28 > > > Then why are you 'in' the team.. I mean, there's one thing to idle on an
29 > > > IRC channel, but membership does normally imply some form of
30 > > > contribution, no? Or is it just to make you 'look'
31 > > > interested/popular/part-of-the-furniture ....
32 > >
33 > > Well, that *is* a problem. However, we are supposed to be friendly
34 > > and nice, and not tell other developers that they have done literally
35 > > nothing during the 2 years they're part of some project. That could
36 > > discourage them from contributing.
39 > > You are also not supposed to try to offload yourself and distribute
40 > > the work to them. That's bossing around, and it discourages others from
41 > > actually doing anything.
42 > >
43 > > So, well, you're just supposed to smile and thank them for doing nothing
44 > > for the project because otherwise they could feel offended
45 > > and discouraged from doing anything,
48 > I am reading a lot of frustration in your comments. I know I have been on a
49 > team(s) where this was the case and it was difficult to resolve. I've also
50 > been that person who doesn't contribute but "hangs around". It might be
51 > possible to think about better ways to measure progress and staffing than
52 > just 'people'. Its pretty clear that 'people on the team' has little
53 > relation to 'work done by the team'. So lets try to break that entirely?
54 >
55 > I want to be clear that "being friendly and nice" is not necessarily the
56 > reason why we do not encourage the behavior you state. I suspect telling
57 > people they have not done anything recently doesn't necessarily encourage
58 > them to do stuff. Most of them have actual reasons for not contributing
59 > (whatever they may be) and often a simple conversation doesn't magically
60 > free up time for them, nor encourage them to start doing more.
61
62 ...
63
64 > The most obvious thing to change is what I mentioned earlier, stop focusing
65 > on "number of humans" and focus on things like "backlog of work for team"
66 > and "velocity of team." Note that this requires ~agreement on what other
67 > metric to use (like bug backlog) and tools to measure the backlog and
68 > velocity. The GMN used to have some of these metrics for bugs.
69 >
70 > So one idea might be to measure bug backlog and bug velocity. Teams that
71 > have a backlog that is not growing at a large rate, or even teams with
72 > positive velocity (they tend to close all of their bugs eventually or keep
73 > the backlog in a specific range) probably don't need operational help (they
74 > are correctly staffed for their workload.) Teams that have a growing
75 > backlog and negative velocity are understaffed (they will only get further
76 > and further behind.)
77 >
78 > Note that these metrics don't necessarily care about the number of people
79 > on the project, or how much each person contributes. It only cares about
80 > the velocity of the project as a whole in relation to their bug queue. Its
81 > certainly not how many projects will want to work (many teams want to keep
82 > bugs open forever, for example.) In the past I've seen a bug "purgatory"
83 > type label used for this, where bugs that someone looked at and decided
84 > "well this is useful to keep open but isn't on the roadmap or we don't
85 > necessarily plan on doing it" gets pushed into the "Purgatory"; it stays in
86 > the bug system (open even!) but we don't count purgatory bugs as part of
87 > the backlog.
88
89 Definitely have to agree with this. I'm on the games team but I haven't
90 done all that much for that project yet. That's largely because I'm
91 lead of the Java team and I don't feel I'm doing enough there either.
92 That doesn't mean I want to leave the games team and there is plenty
93 I'd like to do given the time. I may still fix up the odd thing here
94 and there and that's certainly better than nothing.
95
96 I think there's also another angle to this, particularly when it comes
97 to Java. I don't think it matters how many developers we can
98 realistically get, the traditional approach to Java packaging stopped
99 being scalable years ago. That backlog is growing and we're never going
100 to catch it up short of taking extremely radical action. This is a hard
101 problem to solve. I have some ideas but once again, it needs time.
102 Knowing that our current course is hopeless is also very demotivating
103 and that just makes a bad situation even worse. I don't want to waste
104 time doing fruitless package bumps. When users hop onto IRC
105 enthusiastically asking whether they can package some shiny new thing,
106 it pains me to tell them that it's probably much harder than they think
107 and they'd also be wasting their time.
110 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
111 Gentoo Linux Developer