From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: comrel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:31:40
1 On Fri, 2020-02-21 at 00:40 +0100, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > These numbers have no real meaning. Without knowing why 10 bugs are
3 > pending you don't know if ComRel people are slackers or if bugs were
4 > just filed in the last day(s) of January.
5 >
6 > Without knowing details nobody can answer if ComRel people are slackers,
7 > acting like the US supreme court or if it was OK to close 10 bugs
8 > without any action.
9
10 You are right here.
11
12 > If we are interested in transparency, how about the following 'radical'
13 > change: Let's make bugs *public*, at least for project members. In this
14 > way, each project member can form their own view/opinion based on real
15 > facts.
18 This is not going to work. If you forcibly require all ComRel bugs to
19 be public, some people will just stop filing them. While some people
20 might now read into it that we have less problems, in practice it will
21 just mean less people admit to the existence of problems.
22
23 You should note that some people are really toxic. I know that you
24 reserve this term for me but believe me, there are much worse people
25 around here. People who are going to harass you in every way possible
26 if you stand up to them, people who will seek retaliation. You don't
27 want to get on their blacklist.
28
29 I'm not saying this is always possible. But in the general case of,
30 say, someone repeatedly misbehaving on public mailing lists, you can
31 handle the case without having to blame a specific person (people) for
32 requesting it, and therefore putting them in the crosshairs.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny