From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2019-12-08 19:00 UTC - Agenda topics?
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2019 14:22:22
1 On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:10 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > ===
4 > Should Gentoo developers be expected to be able to find a way to work
5 > together to build a somewhat consistent distribution, or should it be
6 > allowed for individual developers to 'run their own shops' and ignore
7 > everybody else?
8 > ===
9 >
10 > To explain what I mean with an extreme example: in the past we had
11 > a developer who blocked adding systemd units to his own packages because
12 > of his own personal agenda against systemd. This was obviously harmful
13 > to systemd users who couldn't install use those packages normally,
14 > and was harmful to consistent user experience across Gentoo.
15
16 Without wanting to start a flame war, is there a more contemporary
17 example, or even a hypothetical?
18
19 That particular systemd issue was resolved years ago by escalation to
20 the Council, which set a policy that was a reasonable compromise, and
21 it appears to have worked as there has been little argument over that
22 particular matter since.
23
24 I'd assume that if other specific issues come up, they would be also
25 escalated, and Council would again set a reasonable policy that
26 everybody could live with.
27
28 I guess we could ask the Council to have a purely ideological
29 discussion, but IMO it isn't necessary. If we didn't want to have a
30 mechanism to ensure a reasonable level of consistency we wouldn't have
31 the Council in the first place. Having a mechanism to resolve these
32 conflicts won't prevent them from happening in the first place. I
33 think that Gentoo's key attributes of being flexible/FOSS/etc probably
34 attract people with strong opinions on matters, and there are bound to
35 be cases where they can't be resolved by mutual agreement.
36
37 I'll go ahead and toss out a more recent example without naming
38 names/etc (not that anybody couldn't find it if they went looking).
39 There was some heated discussion over disagreement on appropriate use
40 or naming of a USE flag. Ultimately the package maintainer made the
41 call (at least implicitly via their commit). There was some
42 disagreement over that call. Nothing was formally escalated to
43 QA/Council/etc or any other technical governing body. Is that an
44 example of the system working as intended (if the issue were important
45 enough it would have been escalated, and work got done without undue
46 delay), or is it an example of it being broken (nobody wants to have
47 to deal with escalating things, so maybe the maintainer should have
48 sought approval/consensus/etc first, plus if it were escalated now
49 we're changing things already in the repo)? I could cite the
50 specifics if needed - my goal is to raise a contemporary example that
51 might or might not be what you're getting at, without dragging actual
52 debate over that specific issue into this thread...
55 Rich