From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] For next council meeting: moving Portage to python3.6+
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:57:46
1 On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 12:50 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > So, all that remains is who's gonna do the work - both on the
5 > stabilisation of python3.6 as a dev-lang package, and all the associated
6 > (thousands?) of dev-python packages?
7 > You may have brought Zac on board on the portage side of things, but what
8 > about the rest?
11 Good question, here is the answer.
12
13 Standardizing on 3.6+ support for Portage does not require Gentoo to get
14 rid of 2.7.
15
16 The thousands? of ebuilds that need 2.7 continue to need 2.7.
17
18 Dropping support for 2.7 also doesn't require ANY code changes to Portage.
19 It is a strategic decision to not *continue* to maintain 2./7 support in
20 the future if *it becomes an annoyance or limitation* for us to do so. In
21 some areas, we are finding that it is.
22
23 Also, on a side-note, I have been personally helping Gentoo with the effort
24 of removing pycrypto dependencies from Python modules.
25
26 -Daniel