From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:57:12
1 On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 15:36:45 -0600
2 Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Possible Solution:
5 > In order to solve this Gentoo needs to have a combined electorate,
6 > meaning those that would vote for Council would also vote for Trustees
7 > and visa-versa. This would ensure that everyone’s needs are represented.
8 > We should have a single combined governing body, let’s call it ‘The
9 > Board’. This is so that conflicts between Council and Trustees (as they
10 > exist now) would have a straightforward resolution. This new ‘Board’
11 > would be able to use the existing project metastructure to delegate
12 > roles to various groups (Comrel, Infra, etc would still exist, but under
13 > this new Board).
14
15 Well, this kind of superficial description does not raise any immediate
16 concerns. However, the devil's in the detail, and if you really want
17 comments, you should start providing some.
18
19 As far as I understand, this would effectively require every developer
20 to be a member of the Foundation. I think that Foundation membership is
21 more legally binding than 'being a developer = having commit access'.
22
23 One thing I'm particular worried about is the potential of 'US
24 embargo'. What if a particular developer/recruit is/will not be legally
25 allowed to be a member of Gentoo Foundation?
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny
30 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>