From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Extending Social Contract to guarantee that Gentoo will remain volunteer work
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:14:39
1 On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 4:03 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > | Gentoo is and will remain independent volunteer work. We will never
3 > | pay anyone to develop Gentoo, nor will we accept any donations given
4 > | on the condition of any particular development.
5
6 This text, as-is, does not make much sense to me. Why wouldn't
7 Gentoo-affiliated leadership pay someone to help develop Gentoo? Why
8 would we not accept donations for some particular body of work, as
9 long as we think that body of work will move the project forward?
10
11 > The main idea is to protect volunteers spending their time on Gentoo.
12 > I don't want to learn one day that my opinion doesn't matter anymore
13 > because a new lead (Council, Trustees, Board, BDFL or any other
14 > possible future form) decides that they/he/she will use the donation
15 > money to hire paid workers doing the Gentoo work that they desire.
16
17 How is your opinion mattering connected to some lead deciding that
18 they want to use money to help Gentoo (from their perspective)?
19
20 If you're worried that some corporate power will start paying a
21 majority of people on the Council or Board, that seems like a more
22 reasonable concern (though I have not seen any indications that it
23 will happen anytime soon), and maybe we can put something in place to
24 ensure that Council and/or Board can remain diverse enough to prevent
25 this sort of problem.
26
27 > I should note that this doesn't mean to prevent anyone from being paid
28 > by third parties to work on Gentoo, or receive any money on account of
29 > what he did or is doing for Gentoo. I think that's fine as long as
30 > the wider Gentoo community has the right to reject any work that it
31 > sees unfit.
32
33 What are you talking about with this "right to reject"? We already
34 grant each developer pretty much the authority to move the project
35 forward whatever way they like, without knowing whether or not they've
36 been paid for it -- which is just as well, since we mostly don't
37 really care. Except when some other developer or project doesn't like
38 it anymore, in which case we have a discussion about it on the mailing
39 list. How do you foresee that becoming impossible? What's the exact
40 scenario you're worried about, here?
41
42 Cheers,
43