From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: k_f@g.o
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 21:40:33
1 On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 3:31 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On 1/31/19 5:35 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > >
6 > > My main problem with the GLEP is that it seems to propose a WoT for
7 > > a WoT's sake and my question then becomes "why do we need a WoT?"
8 > >
9 > > As in, what does a WoT enable the project to do that it cannot do
10 > > now?
11 >
12 > There are multiple aspects to this, and I'm only commenting the way I
13 > see it here.
14 >
15 > being part of the WoT allows external parties to find a trust path to
16 > gentoo developers, e.g when it comes to relying on communication in
17 > various channels. This part could also be solved by infra running a
18 > Gentoo Developer CA that signs all developers' Transferable Public Key
19 > (TSP, aka public key).
22 So we have a website that lists all of our developers and their gpg-fps
23 already. I realize that mgorny will object that this is a 'nonstandard
24 tool' or somesuch, but I think from my POV its a pretty straightforward
25 tool. Obviously it requires trusting www.gentoo.org and our CA (of which we
26 do not run our own, so it is letsencrypt, IIRC.)
30 > More generally, being part of the WoT can demonstrate participation in
31 > various developer communities. A user that is involved in various
32 > upstream projects and familiar with them already can potentially be more
33 > valuable as a developer for Gentoo, and can also potentially be a factor
34 > for reduced tension between developers as they have demonstrated being
35 > part of other communities already.
38 I agree this is a benefit, but is not sufficient to be mandatory.
42 > In addition comes a better certainty about the UID used for copyright in
43 > signed-off-by, we as a distribution rely on this for both developers and
44 > external contributors, and we need to demonstrate that we have taken
45 > reasonable measures to ensure that what we add is unencumbered.
48 I assume this is where the mandatory bits come in (and obviously where all
49 of the exciting politicking will happen around who owns how to assess and
50 address risk to "gentoo" and what "gentoo" is and so forth.)
51
52 To that end, is the WoT also mandatory for contributors? I didn't see
53 anything in the GLEP about it.
54
55 -A
58 > --
59 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
60 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
61 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3