From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [ Re: Fw: Some questions about Gentoo]
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 20:07:28
Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
> Gentoo Linux has over 12,000 packages in the tree. We make no > distinction between source and binary packages other than adding -bin to > the end of the name of a binary package. We do not subdivide our > packages into any arbitrary structure of support or freeness, but we do > divide the repository into multiple categories, to ease browsing and > also to resolve name conflicts. Since Gentoo uses its own package > manager, all packages are done entirely in-house.
It might also be worth mentioning that within each package we have a division of stable and testing versions. Each architecture we support can be independent as far as what versions are in stable or testing, but are generally the same to preserve developer sanity. ;) -- fonts / wxWindows / gcc-porting / treecleaners 9B81 6C9F E791 83BB 3AB3 5B2D E625 A073 8379 37E8 (0x837937E8) -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [ Re: Fw: Some questions about Gentoo] "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>